The Best Workouts for Seniors
Exercise is part of living a long and healthy life – and that means staying fit as you age! There’s no reason for seniors not to enjoy having a healthy, strong body, and the benefits speak for themselves.
Seniors who maintain their fitness:
- More easily maintain a healthy weight
- Report fewer visits to the doctor, hospitalizations and falls
- Usually recover more rapidly from falls, illness or injury
- Suffer less from arthritis, heart disease or diabetes-related issues
- Have lower blood pressure
- Feel less stressed, depressed and are less prone to mood swings
- Often have a more vibrant social life, due to shared activities
What exercises are best suited to seniors?
First, it is important that you speak to your doctor before making any changes to your exercise routine. Generally, seniors can benefit from a combination of exercise and physical activities:
- Physical activities include gardening, walking the dog, hiking, using the stairs rather than the elevator, dancing, and other activities that get your body moving.
- Exercises are planned, structured, repeated activities that target specific results. This can include resistance exercises (using weights or stretching, for example) or activities like tai chi, pilates, yoga, or aerobics.
If you are unsure what activities or exercises would suit you best, speak to a trainer or therapist who specializes in senior health after consulting your doctor. They will be able to find something that won’t just help you meet your health and fitness goals, but that you’ll find enjoyable, too.
Assisted living for seniors at our Camden County community
Collingswood is part of United Methodist Communities, a network of senior living specializing in high quality care and support. Our senior living community in Camden County, NJ, is known for its beautiful setting, spacious apartments and wide range of services available for residents. With qualified and experienced nursing, therapy and management staff to provide assistance, residents enjoy an abundant life.
In addition to our assisted living facilities, we also offer a range of long term care services, including hospice and palliative care, short term rehabilitation and respite care. Our aim is to ensure residents stay in the comfort and familiar surroundings of their own private apartment as their care needs change for as long as we safely can.
To find out more about United Methodist Communities, our senior living community or our assisted living services, please contact us and schedule your visit today.