How to Make Valentine’s Day Special for Seniors
Valentine’s Day is all about love and affection, so older adults should be celebrating this fun holiday, too! There are plenty of ways to spend quality time with your elderly parents and loved ones on February 14, so here are a few suggestions from our assisted living community in South Jersey.
- Homemade Valentine’s Day cards: If you have younger children, a craft day making pretty cards with personal messages is a great way to get the kids involved. Take the cards, kids and a favorite treat for lunch or coffee over to your loved ones for a Valentine’s Day filled with love, family and quality time.
- Get baking: If baking is a shared hobby, then Valentine’s Day is the ideal time to get together in the kitchen. Baking treats for family, friends and loved ones – even for other elderly neighbors and caregivers — is a great way to spend time together and make everyone’s day a little sweeter.
- Movie night: If you don’t have a romantic night planned for yourself, then why not grab some popcorn, some of your favorite romantic comedies and spend the evening on the couch in great company — and in comfort!
- Update family photos: This presents an opportunity to look back in time as well as create lasting memories for you and your loved ones. Gather the family together for a fun photo shoot — you can even include a Valentine’s Day theme — and smile for the camera! If you do the shoot a week or so before Valentine’s Day, then printed and framed family photos will make the perfect gift.
- A special dinner: Whether you’re a talented cook or would rather treat everyone to a night out at a restaurant, a dinner is a lovely family event that will bring everyone together for some quality time. If you’re at home, you can add a Valentine’s Day theme with some easy arts and crafts, pretty red roses or a themed menu.
Assisted living and nursing home care in Camden County, NJ
Collingswood is part of United Methodist Communities, a network of senior living and assisted living facilities specializing in high quality care and support. Our senior living communities NJ are known for their beautiful settings, spacious residential apartments and wide range of resident services. With qualified and experienced nursing, therapy and management staff on hand to provide expert assistance, seniors enjoy all the benefits of independent living.
In addition to our assisted living communities, we also offer a range of long term care services, including hospice and palliative care, short term rehabilitation and respite care. We aim to keep our residents “aging-in-place,” ensuring that they stay in the comfort and familiar surroundings of their own private apartments for as long as possible, even as their care needs change.