5 Winter Healthcare Tips for Seniors
Staying healthy during the winter can be a challenge for seniors, but there are easy ways to stay on track through these icy months. Here are some great tips from caregivers at our assisted living facility in New Jersey.
- Eat healthily: It may be more difficult to get outside and exercise, but that doesn’t mean your diet should suffer too. Try to choose frozen vegetables over canned, and eat plenty of winter fruits and vegetables like cranberries, citrus and pomegranates. Try to also include fish, poultry and eggs in your diet as well for healthy, lean protein and plenty of zinc.
- Take your vitamins: Vitamins are best absorbed through your diet, but it can be challenging to get the right amounts through the winter to keep your immune system healthy. Vitamins C and D and fish oils are all good supplements.
- Take precautions exercising outdoors: If you are relatively fit and your healthcare specialist gives the go-ahead, there’s no reason why you can’t continue exercising outdoors – but take smart precautions. Wear the proper footwear to prevent slips and falls, follow the weather forecast, take warm clothing and don’t forget your sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to protect you from UV rays and the wind.
- Stay in touch: Over the winter months it can be easy to withdraw and become isolated, as it is difficult to get out and socialize with other people in poor weather. This can lead to loneliness and even depression, a serious condition in the elderly. Watch out for these symptoms in your loved ones and in your community, and remember that help is just a phone call away. You can also arrange a check-in system with family and friends in the neighborhood.
- Stay warm safely: It’s important to have a professional service all heating equipment and systems to ensure that they are in safe working order. Keep heaters away from curtains and other fire hazards, and make sure that there are working carbon monoxide and smoke detectors installed on each floor.
Professional, caring assisted living facilities in Camden County, NJ
Collingswood is part of United Methodist Communities, a network of senior living and assisted living facilities specializing in high quality care and support. Our senior living community in Camden County, NJ, is known for its beautiful setting, spacious residential apartments and wide range of services available for residents. With qualified and experienced nursing, therapy and management staff on hand to provide expert assistance, residents enjoy all the benefits of independent living.
In addition to assisted living, we also offer a range of long term care services, including hospice and palliative care, short term rehabilitation and respite care. Our aim is to encourage our residents to “age in place”, through the comfort of familiar surroundings and their private apartment homes even as their care needs change.
To find out more about United Methodist Communities, our senior living community or our assisted living services, please contact us and book your visit today.