Five Mistakes to Avoid When Searching for Assisted Living
When you’re looking for an assisted living solution for a loved one, you want to be sure that you’re getting the best option available for them. Stay on track with your search by avoiding these common mistakes, and use this advice from our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ.
- Being unrealistic about your loved one’s needs. None of us like to think about our loved ones getting older, because it makes us realize that we might not have as much time left with them in our lives. But, not taking a serious look at what kind of care they need now — and in the future — can mean bigger problems down the line. Try to be as objective as possible about the kind of help they need, and choose a facility that can increase their care level as it may be required.
- Rushing into a decision. For many families, the realization that their loved one needs to move into assisted living is sudden— and often results in a rushed decision on choosing a facility. To put your loved one’s best interests first, it’s better to slow down and properly evaluate options. Be sure to visit at least three recommended assisted living communities, tour them on-site and be prepared to ask plenty of questions to make sure you have peace of mind about your decision.
- Choosing your own tastes over theirs. This is a big temptation to overcome, especially if you’re paying the bill, but it’s important to remember that your loved one will be the resident — not you. Rather, speak to your loved one about what they like about the different facilities, from aesthetics and living arrangements to the programs.
- Making close location a priority. It is important that you and other loved ones are close enough to visit, however, it shouldn’t override other communities that may be slightly further away, but far more suitable to your loved one. Finding the best fit for your loved one always trumps distance!
- Forgetting to do your research. This is an important and long-term decision, so proper research is needed to get the right fit for your loved one. Start on the internet and have a look at options in your area, speak to friends and family about their loved ones in assisted living, and take notes about things that your loved one might need or enjoy. Then take the time to visit each facility in person, meet with the staff and talk over your points, then invite your loved one to view the best options with you.
Assisted living for seniors that preserves independence, health and well-being
Collingswood is part of United Methodist Communities’ network of high-quality, non-profit assisted living communities specializing in residential and assisted living for seniors. With an experienced care and assistance team, scalable services customized to each resident’s needs, and a lively social calendar, our community focuses on essential resources that promote independence and quality of life.
To find out more about United Methodist Communities or our assisted living community, please visit our website at https://umcommunities.org/collingswood/ or contact us and book your visit today.