5 Must-Try Activities for Visiting Assisted Living this Festive Season
If you’re visiting a loved one in assisted living this festive season, it’s a good idea to bring along a few ideas and activities to add to the Christmas cheer! Here are five inspirations from the team at our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ:
- Make Festive Decorations – If you and your loved one enjoy crafts, then this is the perfect activity! Visit your local craft shop and stock up on material, then check out some interesting craft projects like these cute Christmas hats or make your own Christmas wreaths. Then you can decorate their room or apartment with a festive tree, twinkling lights, and all your newly made decorations!
- Get Baking – There are few things as festive as the smell of baked Christmas treats. If your loved one is in an assisted living apartment with a kitchen, it’s a great idea to bring along a few bags of ingredients and bake together. If they don’t have their own kitchen, you can bake Christmas cookies beforehand and spend the day decorating them together.
- Relive the Fun of the 40s and 50s – Download classic Christmas movies as well as Christmas radio shows and tunes from your loved one’s youth and settle down with some popcorn and treats to enjoy an evening together around the Christmas tree. There are plenty of options from different streaming services, both paid and free, like YouTube, Apple music store, Spotify, and many others. Good seasonal movies include Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carol, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.
- Gift Wrapping Party – Put on some carols, bring along your loved one’s favorite festive season treats, along with gifts and paper, and spend the day drinking hot chocolate, chatting, and wrapping gifts. Remember that giftwrapping doesn’t have to be perfect – it just has to be fun! You can also spend time together sorting out Christmas stockings for loved ones.
- Events at the Assisted Living Community – Get in touch with your loved one’s assisted living community and find out what they have planned for the holidays. Usually, there’s a full roster of events that range from creating crafts and carols to music evenings, movie nights, and more, so chat with your loved one about what they’d like to attend and join in! It’s a great opportunity to show an interest in their friends and companions, getting to know the associates, and having a good time.
Celebrate the Festive Season with Collingswood Assisted Living in Camden County NJ
Collingswood is part of the United Methodist Communities network of high quality, non-profit assisted living communities specializing in independent living for seniors. With an experienced care and assistance team, scalable services customized to each resident’s needs, and a lively social calendar (especially in the festive season!), we provide the essential resources that promote independence and quality of life. We offer spiritual services for interested seniors and welcome seniors from all faith backgrounds.
To find out more about United Methodist Communities or our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ, please visit our website at http://collingswood.umcommunities.org/ or contact us and book your visit today.