6 Things You Need to Know About High Blood Pressure
May is National High Blood Pressure Education Month, so the team at our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey would like to share some facts about this health condition that can help save lives!
- High blood pressure is a primary or contributing cause to almost 1,000 deaths per day: This is according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who says that high blood pressure increases your risk for heart attack, stroke, chronic heart failure and kidney disease.
- 1 in 5 American adults don’t know they have high blood pressure: 7 in 10 adults in the USA have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and use medication to manage it. An annual health checkup is essential to monitoring blood pressure.
- It may be linked to dementia: Recent studies have shown indications that high blood pressure could be a contributor to dementia conditions and loss of cognitive function, especially if high blood pressure develops between 45-65 years old.
- It’s not just a senior condition: Young people can get high blood pressure too, especially between the ages of 25-45 years old. This and the high obesity rates among young people are thought to be some of the reasons why strokes are on the rise in this age group.
- There aren’t usually any symptoms: It can be impossible to tell if you have high blood pressure, which is why it’s often called “the silent killer”. Even if you feel completely healthy, have your blood pressure checked by a doctor for your peace of mind – it’s painless! This is especially important if you are in a higher-risk group, which includes women and African American men.
- It is manageable: The most important fact is that having high blood pressure isn’t an automatic death sentence – if you manage it correctly. Getting diagnosed early is key, and your doctor can recommend a regimen that may include weight loss and dietary as well as lifestyle changes along with medication that can help you live a long, enjoyable and healthy life!
Become Part of a Community at Our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey
Bristol Glen is a CCRC and assisted living community based in Sussex County that aims to provide seniors with comfortable, serviced living arrangements that free up your time to enjoy life. Founded on a philosophy of ageing in place, our continuing care retirement community residents enjoy a less restrictive care model where they do not have to move from their residential apartment to access additional services as their needs change.
Contact us to find out more about our CCRC and our assisted living in Sussex County, New Jersey, please visit our website and book your visit today.