5 Surprising Facts About Assisted Living
If you’re starting to search for an assisted living community, it can be a surprise to find out that they are very different from what you originally thought! Here are 5 facts about today’s assisted living:
- They’re all unique. A huge range of assisted living communities cater to different tastes, locations and budgets, all with different services, living arrangements and activities. Each community possesses a very different feel from the others, and while some are actively part of a bustling local town, others may be more secluded. This great news means that you can find somewhere that’s a great fit for your loved one, rather than settling for a cookie-cutter facility.
- They don’t all provide the same services. Some communities focus on special care for residents with Alzheimer’s or dementia, or on independent living for seniors who are active and can generally care for themselves. Others meet the needs of seniors on every level of care, from independent younger seniors to hospice care. While it’s important to find a community which offers the care your loved one needs, it’s also a good idea to ensure they can scale their services up or down as your loved one’s needs change, so you don’t have to start searching all over again.
- Costs vary. It’s no secret that senior care is expensive, but do your research because costs can vary based on care needs.
- They are culturally diverse. Many assisted living communities offer their own unique ethos and ability to accommodate the needs of seniors and often offer multiple cultural, religious and dining options. There are even activity-based niche options, like golf-orientated assisted living communities!
- They are not nursing homes. Nursing homes are very different from assisted living communities, as they are designed for people who need a little help to live on their own, not 24-hour care. Some communities do offer skilled nursing too, but generally, assisted living residents are very independent and mobile, simply requiring a more manageable living space, help with meals and medication assistance.
Independent living for seniors at our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ
Collingswood is part of the United Methodist Communities network of high-quality, non-profit assisted living communities specializing in independent living for seniors. With an experienced respite care and assistance team, scalable services customized to each resident’s needs, and a lively social calendar, we deliver essential resources to promote independence and quality of life.
To find out more about United Methodist Communities or our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ, please visit our website at https://collingswood.umcommunities.org/ or contact us and book your visit today.