How to Plan a Staycation for Your Senior Parent
Everyone looks forward to a summer vacation! As a caregiver, coming up with new ways to have fun while keeping your senior parent safe on vacation could be a challenge. Planning can be tricky, especially if long distance traveling is not an option for mom or dad. However, who says you have to travel far to have a great summer vacation? “Staycations” are just as fun and can be easier to plan and execute. With that said, our assisted living caregivers in Collingswood have put together some great ideas on how you can help plan a “staycation” for your senior loved one.
- Have a poolside BBQ. Nothing says summer like grilling food by the pool. Have mom or dad come over, along with the rest of the family for a day of summer fun and delicious BBQ food! If you do not have a pool, do not underestimate the power of a blow-up pool. They are cheaper and just as fun as an in-ground or above ground pool, especially for grandkids who are constantly on the run.
- Take a day trip to the Jersey Shore. If your senior parent is a part of our assisted living community in Camden County, NJ, they are only 1.5 hour away from lively shore towns like Toms River and Long Branch. Pack lunch, towels, beach games, chairs and then pick up your mom or dad for a relaxing day at the shore.
- “Travel” the world through the art of cooking. If you can’t bring mom to Italy, bring Italy to mom through authentic, home-cooked Italian dishes. Try your hand in some new recipes and ask mom to join in for some quality bonding time. You could even make this a weekly activity if your senior parent is adventurous with their food choices. “Go” to Italy this week, and Greece the next – that’ll make for one exciting summer.
- Look up local events in the area. There is always something going on in Collingswood, New Jersey! July is a very exciting month because it marks the start of “Movies in Knight Park.” Classic movies like Toy Story, Grease, Finding Nemo and The Empire Strikes Back will be shown on Tuesday and Thursday nights in July. Admission is free, so you and your senior parent will only have to BYOC (bring your own chair). We also recommend bringing snacks like popcorn and candy.
- Create an oasis at home. When in doubt, create the vacation your senior parent wants in the safety of their own home. If they don’t already have a garden, building one together is a great way to spend a little time outdoors. Or if dad is more of a sightseer and nature expert, place different types of bird feeders throughout the backyard together. You’ll both be surprised to see the number of birds that come to visit!
Summer fun for seniors at Collingswood
At our assisted living community in Collingswood, our associates are constantly brainstorming new ways to enjoy the summer outdoors with our senior residents. Some of the activities we have planned this summer are trips to Scottish Rite Grounds, “Lunch and Relaxation in Knight Park,” and Saturday Night Movies, just to name a few. We understand that the mobility and health of some residents may impact their ability to leave campus, but our associates will do everything in their power to bring the summer fun to them – no matter what!
To find out more about our summer fun activities for seniors in Camden County NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at: https://umcommunities.org/collingswood/