Alzheimer’s Care: The “Tapestries” Program at United Methodist Communities
Each person with dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, will experience its symptoms and progression differently, so it’s important to modify care accordingly. Patience, flexibility and the support of family and friends will help you tackle the challenges ahead for your loved one. However, it also doesn’t hurt to consider a professional program for memory care at a reputable assisted living community.
Tapestries® at UMC
We believe every person’s life is a tapestry in some way. A tapestry of memories, experiences and relationships that define who we truly are. UMC is dedicated to continuously weaving and nurturing the tapestries of all those who require memory care. Our dementia care program, called Tapestries, is offered in all four of our full-service locations: Collingswood, Pitman, Bristol Glen and The Shores.
Every Tapestries residence is fully furnished with safety in mind, and includes the following:
- Beautifully appointed studio apartments designed around a central hub for safe living
- Access to a large supervised common area for activities, consultations, socialization, games and more
- Nurse call and wander management systems to help ensure safety and security
- UMC Life Enrichment Team Specialists (LETS) undergo specialized training to support an active program of mental stimulation aided by an intimate familiarity with each resident’s past life and present circumstances
- Flexible meal schedule and food offerings as dementia can impact perceptions of time and appetite
- Complete housekeeping and cleaning services
- Building, apartment maintenance, and laundry is all taken care of by our staff
This environment will allow memory care residents to experience “normalcy” in their own cozy apartment, while also enjoying daily activities, visiting with loved ones, and socializing with other residents in the common areas. With COVID-19 still active, it’s important to note that UMC has protocols in place, including social distancing to prevent future outbreaks. For more information on the UNITEDforSAFETY standard, click here.
The Mission of Tapestries
Unlike other memory care programs, Tapestries focuses on the cognitive strengths of each resident, while managing the challenges that come with dementia. Our program has achieved proven results by concentrating on the strengths and preferences of each resident, which has helped maximize their quality of life.
All memory care residents receive professional care on their own terms and have the freedom to continue their established daily routines. For example, they can eat when hungry and sleep when tired, as there is no universal schedule in place. Each resident’s ability to choose provides some normalcy and independence, allowing them to engage in activities that have always made sense to them.
Your Loved One’s Memory Care is Our Priority at UMC Collingswood
We understand the struggles that come with memory care and focus solely on what works best for each resident. Individualized care is at the heart of everything we do and is key to an abundant lifestyle in an assisted living community.
If your loved one shows symptoms of the early stages of dementia, call 856-369-3092 to find out how UMC Collingswood in Camden County can meet the needs of your parent.
To learn more about any of our other assisted living communities across New Jersey, please contact United Methodist Communities and book your visit today.