Deciding on The Best Care for Your Senior Parents
Parents Day is on July 25th! It’s a reminder that it’s not only important to take care and appreciate them today, but every day. A big part of caring for an aging parent includes deciding on the best care option for them if they are starting to have trouble living alone. As your parents grow older, it’s essential to find them care that caters to their specific needs…and it’s even more essential to keep them involved in the decision-making process. Two of the most popular options for seniors that need more support in their daily lives are independent living and assisted living. Here’s a quick guide to each of these options to help you make an informed choice from our senior care team serving West Deptford.
Is Independent Living Right for Your Senior Parent?
Independent-style living is all about keeping seniors healthy, active and safe. Ask your senior parent these questions to find out if this is the senior care option that best suits them:
- Are you finding maintaining your home is becoming too much work?
- Is your home too big for you and are you looking to downsize?
- Are you looking for a community in which you can be active and make friends?
- Are you worried your current home has become unsuitable for you (e.g. It has a lot of stairs or tripping hazards)?
- Do you want more time to pursue your interests and hobbies?
- Do you want access to trained home health services if needed, but do not require medical attention?
If they have answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then your senior parent is likely to be a good match for an independent living community. These communities are designed for healthy seniors who are looking to maintain their independence, remove the stress of owning and maintaining a house, and have the freedom to enjoy their hobbies and social lives.
Is Assisted Living Right for Your Senior Parent?
Assisted living also focuses on maintaining independence and quality of life, but is generally more suited to seniors who require a bit more support. Ask mom or dad these questions and find out if this is the best senior care option for them:
- Is maintaining your home becoming stressful and expensive?
- Has your home become unsuitable to your needs (e.g. It has a lot of stairs) or is it too big?
- Do you have a medical condition that requires support?
- Do you require assistance with transport, bathing, dressing, meal preparation or medication administration?
- Do you want more time to pursue your interests and social activities?
If mom or dad has answered ‘yes’ to this set of questions, then they are likely to be a good match for an assisted living community. With a higher level of care, both medically and with daily tasks and errands, this is an ideal community for seniors who need daily support to maintain a high quality of life and independence.
Senior care services in Gloucester County, NJ
At United Methodist Communities at Pitman, our aim is to ensure that each of our residents maintain their dignity, quality of life and independence. Our assisted living community encourages residents to get involved at a level they are comfortable with. We tailor our assisted living services to make sure each resident gets the help and support they require to live a full, happy and independent life as they age.