Heart Healthy Activities for Seniors!
The heart is the single most hardworking muscle in the human body, so it’s no surprise that keeping it fit and healthy is key to living a long and full life! Here are some tips, interesting facts and insights from the team at our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey on staying heart healthy.
Did You Know…?
A human heart beats around 115,000 times a day, pumping 2,000 gallons of blood through its chambers. In an average lifetime, this means it beats 2.5 billion times.
- Your heart is as big as your clenched fist, but certain health conditions can make it bigger, like congestive heart failure.
- The first pacemaker actually plugged into a wall socket.
- Your heart has its own electrical pulse, which is why it can keep beating when separated from the body as long as it has an oxygen supply.
- Heart disease is the number one killer of adults in the USA, with more women dying of heart disease than from the top cancers combined.
- Your level of physical activity is the most important factor in determining your risk of heart disease, and physicians recommend 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise to be in good shape.
4 Best Exercises for Seniors
- Water aerobics Thanks to heated pools, you can continue this activity throughout the year. It’s not only good for the heart, the buoyancy of the water protects joints and prevents falls. Most pools have safe entry options like shallow stairs or even lifts.
- Get outdoors into the fresh air and explore nature! Walking engages the body and mind, ensuring that your muscles —– including your heart —– get a good workout. Join a senior walking or bird watching group to get more active.
- Yoga is very versatile, so it can be easily adapted for seniors at all fitness levels, including seniors with mobility issues. Look for a local yoga class for seniors or work one-on-one with an experienced instructor. Benefits include a healthier heart, better posture, improved strength and mobility, and even improved mood.
- Dance classes are ideal at any age, teaching a great skill while having plenty of fun! In addition to being good for your heart, it’s a great way to socialize, too.
Independent Living at its Best at Our CCRC in Sussex County, New Jersey
Bristol Glen is a CCRC based in Sussex County that aims to provide seniors with comfortable, serviced living arrangements that free up your time to enjoy life.
Contact us to find out more about our CCRC and our assisted living in Sussex County, New Jersey, please visit our website at https://umcommunities.org/bristolglen/ and book your visit today.