Community Programs Designed for Sussex County Seniors
If you’re a senior in Sussex county, you’re in the right place! Thanks to a focus on senior wellbeing and life enrichment, there are a number of great programs right on your doorstep to enjoy. These offer opportunities for learning new skills as well as assistance with everything from nutrition and senior care to legal services. Get to know these programs from local government and community colleges with the team from our senior living community in Sussex County, New Jersey.
What programs are offered for seniors?
Before we start, it’s important to quickly note that some programs may change the way they are delivered or may have been put on hold due to COVID-19. It’s a good idea to subscribe to the Senior Times Monthly Newsletter to stay up-to-date with all the latest information on senior resources in the county.
- Information and assistance – These services give you access to practical advice from specialists on a wide range of services available to seniors. It’s the resource you need on hand when you require rental assistance, utility assistance, residential maintenance, legal services, home health services, assisted transportation or adult protective services.
- Nutritional programs – Nutrition is essential for supporting senior health and wellbeing, helping build strong immune systems, fighting disease and – if you’re a foodie – simply enjoying life to the full! The Sussex County nutrition programs are a valuable resource for seniors and include congregate meal sites which combine a social atmosphere with recreational activities (this may be subject to conditions due to COVID-19, so check ahead), meals on wheels for home delivered meals and free produce through the Senior Farmers Market program.
- Healthy living – There are so many great ways that seniors and caregivers can support a healthier, more active and more rewarding senior lifestyle, but it can be difficult to know where to start or how to get involved in the active aging movement. There are a number of excellent county programs you can participate in, including fall prevention, health workshops, exercise programs, non-aerobic exercise, and more. It’s for all seniors, but especially valuable for those managing serious health conditions like cancer and diabetes. There’s even a course on managing stress as a caregiver!
- Medical assistance – Navigating and managing senior medical care is complex to say the least! These programs provide assistance and information regarding Medicare (including Part D plans, billing issues, special benefits, and any questions you may have), and prescription assistance plans (including PAAD, Senior Gold and others). There are also emergency preparedness services.
- Caregiver support – If you’re a caregiver and feeling overwhelmed, unsure of how to manage these responsibilities, or simply need a helping hand, then these programs are for you. From support groups to respite care programs, you get access to the care you need to manage this role.
- Annual events – These programs focus on events that celebrate seniors, from Older Americans Day and Veterans Picnic to a Healthy Living Festival and much more. All of these events may be subject to restrictions due to COVID-19, so stay in touch with the organizer to get the latest updates.
- Lifelong learning – The Center for Lifelong Learning is a fantastic initiative that lets anyone over 50 expand their knowledge and learn new skills. If you are looking for an enjoyable way to get involved with an interesting social circle and expand your horizons, these courses are the perfect opportunity. The courses change throughout the year too and range from gardening and art to computer and business skills. The nature of the classes may be affected by COVID-19, so be sure to stay in contact with the center for updates.
At Bristol Glen, a community for independent living in Sussex County New Jersey, we’re all about helping seniors live a full and happy life! Chat with our team today if you want to find out more about who we are or our services.