6 Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day in a CCRC
Mother’s Day is coming up quick on May 9th! If your mother is in a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) or retirement community, this is a great opportunity to treat her to something special, enjoy the warm spring weather and just spend quality time together.
Depending on COVID-19 protocols, here are some ideas on how to celebrate with your mother this year, from United Methodist Communities at Bristol Glen, our CCRC in Newton, NJ. Check with Bristol Glen for the latest information.
1. Bring Mother’s Day to her. If you are concerned about COVID-19 or your mother has a medical condition that makes it difficult for her to leave the CCRC, then bring the celebrations to her! Order take out from her favorite restaurant, pack gifts and family members into the car and you’re all set for a special day together. It’s also a good idea to bring some entertainment too, like cards, board games, or movies, especially if you’re bringing the grandkids along.
2. A nice family meal. Over the last year or so, none of us have been able to celebrate with our families the way we’d like to. Mother’s Day is the perfect time to get everyone together for a home cooked family meal. It’s a chance to make something really special, so plan a menu of her favorite foods, dress the table up with beautiful centerpieces and décor, and celebrate together in style.
3. A relaxing day at the nail salon or spa. Who doesn’t enjoy being pampered? As we all get older, it becomes a little bit more challenging to keep up with manicures and pedicures, so why not treat your mom to a little bit of luxury? Remember to look around at local spas to see if they have senior specials or Mother’s Day packages, and you can even get a specialist to do a home visit if you feel more comfortable not going out.
4. Visit a local farm, park or garden. We’re all very happy to see spring has finally arrived, and what better way to enjoy it than outdoors among the flowers? Take a day trip out to botanical gardens, like the New Jersey Botanical Garden, or the Van Vleck House and Gardens to enjoy the blossoms, fresh air and sunshine together. Another good idea is to visit a local park or farm like Windy Brow Farms to get out into the countryside and pick up some farm-fresh produce and goodies for a picnic.
5. Go “hunting for treasure.” If you and your mother love to browse antiques and look for hidden treasures, then Mother’s Day is the perfect day for a little shopping trip! Plan a route through some of the best antique stores near Newton, complete with stops for lunch and snacks, and enjoy a day of bargain hunting together. You’ll be sure to find the perfect gift for her along the way!
6. Plan a remote celebration. If you don’t live nearby and can’t get to your mother to celebrate together, you can still make the day very special for her. Send a care package full of all her favorite goodies, including chocolates, flowers, favorite treats, a soft robe and slippers. Set up a Skype or Zoom session with her and have the whole family join in. Near or far, there is always a safe way to connect with Mom.
Independent living at our continuing care retirement community in Newton, NJ
Bristol Glen is part of the United Methodist Community network, a collection of senior living and assisted living communities in New Jersey dedicated to supporting abundant, independent living.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re not only working hard to keep your loved ones safe and healthy, but we’re also doing our best to keep families connected. If you would like to treat your loved one this Mother’s Day or would like to inquire further about our care services, just give us a call and we’ll do everything we can to help! You can also find out more about UMC at Bristol Glen by visiting our website at https://umcommunities.org/bristolglen/