How to Celebrate Dad in an Assisted Living Community
This Father’s Day may be different than in years past – especially if Dad now resides in an assisted living community. However, there’s no reason why you can’t get creative with a new Father’s Day tradition. And with the weather warming up, it’s also a great excuse to get outside! Our assisted living team in Collingswood NJ has put together some indoor and outdoor options to celebrate this special day with Dad
- Picnic outdoors: Enjoying a picnic is a wonderful way to connect with Dad and immerse him in the beauty of the outdoors. Our beautiful campus in Camden County provides well-maintained gardens and green spaces that can serve as the perfect backdrop for a lovely picnic. Does Dad love homemade chocolate chip cookies? Make sure to pack some, along with a homemade meal, an oversized blanket or comfortable chairs to make the experience more enjoyable. Spending quality time together while sharing a meal can help Dad feel more connected to his loved ones this Father’s Day.
- Memory collage or scrapbooking in Dad’s new apartment: Creating a memory collage or scrapbook is a sentimental activity that can help strengthen Dad’s connection to his new home. Collect photographs, letters, and mementos that evoke cherished memories. Don’t forget to load up on fun scrapbooking supplies like colorful paper and stickers! You can also ask other family members or even residents from UMC at Collingswood to add their own anecdotes and well-wishes to the scrapbook. This collaborative project can be a heartwarming keepsake that Dad can treasure in his new apartment for years to come.
- Virtual gathering for Father’s Day. In today’s digital age, connecting with far away loved ones is easier than ever. Organize a virtual gathering from the comfort of Dad’s new apartment using Zoom or Skype to include family members who may unable to visit in person on Father’s Day. You can get creative and assign a theme, like a virtual game night or a cooking session where everyone prepares their favorite recipes. Or keep it simple with a casual catch-up session where everyone shares stories and life updates.
- Movie night: Transform Dad’s living space into a cozy home theater for a personalized movie night. Select Dad’s favorite movies or those with sentimental value for you and him. You can also include a few classic films from his era to evoke nostalgia. Pop some popcorn, grab some cozy blankets, and dim the lights to enhance the cinematic experience.
- Join him for an outdoor class: Our assisted living community offers a range of activities and classes held outdoors for all residents to participate in. We are still finalizing plans for Father’s Day, but if the weather permits – we will definitely have some fun outdoor activities planned! Some of our residents’ favorite activities are painting, gardening, yoga, and playing games. Whatever you decide to do, spending time together doing something Dad enjoys can provide a sense of fulfillment and foster a sense of purpose and connection with his new home.
Honoring Dad in assisted living on Father’s Day
While the transition to assisted living can present new challenges, it’s important to find creative ways to celebrate Dad’s life and create meaningful moments together. From picnics to movie nights, there are so many possibilities that can bring Dad joy this Father’s Day.
Get in touch with our team and let us know how we can best accommodate your Father’s Day plans for your senior loved one. Our assisted living community has many communal spaces, both indoors and outdoors, where your family can gather and spend time with Dad safely.
To learn more about our assisted living services in Camden County, please visit our website at: https://umcommunities.org/collingswood/