Move it or Lose it Before Summer’s Over!
After being cooped up in the house most of the winter, too many seniors may have gotten comfortable with a more sedentary lifestyle. We’re here to tell you to MOVE YOUR BUTT! It’s time to get up, get out, get your blood flowing and the salty fresh air into your lungs!
If you live at UMC at The Shores of course, you will have more than the usual motivation to get outside. Our residents are only a few blocks from the Ocean City boardwalk, where the beautiful views of the ocean will beckon you. Here’s just a few places to walk to from our independent senior living community in South Jersey that should provide more than ample motivation to move.
- The beach and boardwalk! Just four blocks from UMC at the Shores, you’ll have the sand between your toes and the ocean waves crashing right in front of you. Waking up early and taking a morning walk to the beach is not only physically good for you, but mentally as well. If you’re not a morning person, an evening stroll on the beach is just as magical.
- Walk to get breakfast at Uncle Bill’s Pancake House! This iconic breakfast spot is only a ten minute walk from the Shores! Whether you love eggs, whole grain pancakes or a fresh bowl of fruit, Uncle Bill’s has it all. We love this idea because you break-up the exercise with a nice meal. Plus, walking after a meal helps aid in digestion. So, this one is a win-win!
- Stainton Wildlife Refuge is also just a ten minute walk from UMC at the Shores. However, depending on your physical activity level, you might want us to arrange transportation options instead and save the walking for when you’re on the grounds. This wildlife refuge has shore views and is home to many different species. It’s a great opportunity to soak up the scenery and learn more about the local wildlife!
- Ocean City Golf Course is right outside your door if you’re a Shores resident! While many people skip the walking when it comes to golf, we are here to tell you that you do have the option to walk to each hole!
- Aquatic & Fitness Center. A fitness buff’s dream. Just an 11 minute walk from UMC at the Shores or a two minute drive, The Aquatic & Fitness Center offers “a 25-meter pool, strength and cardiovascular equipment training space, an exercise studio for aerobics, yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, and martial arts, indoor cycling, personal training, and racquetball court.” Oh my!
An active life for seniors in Cape May County
As you can see, if you’re a UMC Shores resident you don’t have an excuse to lay around. You do however have a lot of options right outside your door to lead an active life. That’s not counting the community itself which provides multiple daily activities and special fitness classes, outings and social opportunities. Our independent lifestyle community allows you to get the help you need while remaining independent and self-sufficient.
For more information on our independent lifestyles at our senior living community, visit our website: https://umcommunities.org/theshores/