What is Memory Support?
Memory Support is a set of services specifically designed to assist patients with Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia. These services will differ from one provider to another, but will generally focus on neurological support and care, helping patients to maintain their quality of life.
Memory support services include:
- Residential living communities designed for ease of navigation, safety and comfort.
- Resident participation in everyday routines like setting the table, cooking, baking, folding clothes, etc. to promote skill retention
- Assistance with personal hygiene.
- Structured social activities such as gardening and group discussions.
- Structured activities to encourage sensory engagement: fitness, cognitive stimulation; music, art, horticultural and pet therapies, group discussion, and more.
- Assistance with medication.
- Qualified professionals for physical, occupational and speech therapists therapies, if required.
Residences for individuals needing memory support are specifically designed to be a comfortable home environment with unobtrusive safety features, including:
- Nurse call and wander management systems.
- Easy-to-navigate open plan spaces.
- 24-hour home emergency alert systems.
- Fire safety sprinkler systems and smoke alarms.
- Licensed nursing staff on duty 24-hours a day.
- Monitoring of residents’ condition.
Flexible, High Quality Memory Care and Support Services in New Jersey
At United Methodist Communities in New Jersey, our priority is the comfort, safety and independence of our Alzheimer’s and dementia residents. With comprehensive memory care and support programs designed for mental and physical stimulation as well as enjoyment, your loved one will be part of a community that accepts, understands and effectively manages his or her unique needs. Our caring staff is experienced in providing the best quality care and companionship to residents and is an integral part of helping your loved one achieve the best quality of life.
To find out more about our services for individuals with Alzheimer’s, contact United Methodist Communities today.