Independent Living or Assisted Living – How to Determine Which Senior Living Option is Right for You or Your Elderly Loved One
Finding the right senior living option is all about understanding your needs and determining the types of services that best fit those needs. Two of the most popular options are independent living and assisted living. Here’s a quick guide to each of these options to help you make an informed choice.
Is Independent Living Right for You?
Independent living is all about keeping seniors healthy, active and safe. Ask yourself these questions and find out if this is the senior living option that suits you:
- Are you finding maintaining your home is becoming too much work?
- Is your home too big for you and are you looking to downsize?
- Are you looking for a community in which you can be active and make friends?
- Are you worried your current home has become unsuitable for you (e.g. It has a lot of stairs or tripping hazards)?
- Do you want more time to pursue your interests and hobbies?
- Do you want access to trained home health services if needed, but do not require medical attention?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then you are likely to be a good match for an independent living community. These communities are designed for healthy seniors who are looking to maintain their independence, remove the stress of owning and maintaining a house and have the freedom to enjoy their hobbies and social lives. Residents at Bristol Glen’s Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) enjoy spacious apartment homes, a host of onsite amenities and independent living with the fulfilling companionship of friends and neighbors. While independence and dignity are maximized, safety and security are also of utmost importance at all of our communities. At Bristol Glen an independent living lifestyle is combined with access to assisted living services and skilled nursing all under one roof. Residents feel safe and their loved ones can rest assured that all needs are being met.
Is Assisted Living Right for You?
Assisted living is also focused on maintaining your independence and quality of life, but is generally more suited to seniors who require more support. Ask yourself these questions and find out if this is the senior living option that suits you:
- Is maintaining your home becoming stressful and expensive?
- Has your home become unsuitable to your needs (e.g. It has a lot of stairs) or is it too big?
- Do you have a medical condition that requires support?
- Do you require assistance with transport, bathing, dressing, meal preparation or medication administration?
- Do you want more time to pursue your interests and social activities?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to these questions, then you are likely to be a good match for an assisted living community. With a higher level of support and care, both medically and with daily tasks and errands, this is an ideal community for seniors who need additional support to maintain a high quality of life and independence. Assisted Living Services are offered to residents in all United Methodist Communities of New Jersey full service communities. Assisted living residents benefit from both medical and non-medical assistance as needed. Senior care services include housekeeping, medication assistance, health monitoring, reminders and/or assistance with activities of daily living, personal care, concierge services, and more.
At United Methodist Communities of New Jersey, our aim is to ensure that each of our residents maintain their dignity, quality of life and independence. Our independent living and assisted living communities ensure residents are encouraged to get involved with the community at a level they are comfortable with. We tailor our services to make sure each resident gets the help and support they require to live a full and happy life as they age. For more information please contact us today.