Caring for your eye health as you age
Our eyes, like the rest of our bodies, are not immune to the aging process. However, there are a few things we can do to give our eyes the proper support they need to stay healthy. Read these tips on caring for your eyes as you age from assisted living specialists in South Jersey.
- Maintain good nutrition: Eating healthfully is key to preserving your eyesight. Prioritize foods that are rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A and C, like leafy green vegetables, eggs, nuts, and oily fish (mackerel, tuna and salmon).
- Cut down on alcohol: Overconsumption of alcohol negatively affects health in a number of ways and may trigger free-radical reactions that are damaging to the macula (the eye tissue that allows you to see detail and color).
- Reduce your sugar and fat intake: While sugar may create the same free-radical reactions as alcohol, too much fat in your diet can directly affect blood flow in your arteries. This restricts the flow of oxygen and nutrients to your organs, including your eyes. Too much sugar also increases your risk of developing diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults.
- Quit smoking: Smoking has been linked to high risks of developing cataracts, optic nerve damage and macular degeneration, so it’s best to try and kick the habit as soon as possible.
- Invest in some good quality sunglasses: Too much exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays increases your chances of cataracts and macular degeneration. Be sure to invest in a pair of sunglasses that block 99% or 100% of UVA and UVB rays, as poor quality sunglasses can actually increase your UV ray exposure.
Care, comfort and compassion at our assisted living community in South Jersey
At United Methodist Communities at The Shores, we offer comprehensive assisted living services that actively promote our philosophy of ‘aging-in-place’. Our service model is scalable to allow you or your loved one the right level of support as needs change over time, while our apartment-style accommodation ensures the maximum amount of comfort and independence.
For more information on The Shores and our other New Jersey communities, please contact us today and visit us for a personal tour.